Friday, January 22, 2010

Candlelit Thoughts


My room. Darkness.

The candlelight colored the room in an orange glow. It painted shadows and dark reflections on the walls. A storm now ruled California and took its throne in the skies. It decided to knock out all the electricity in my house with a single lightning bolt. Raindrops made my window seem like it was funhouse mirror.

I sat here, thinking. Just thinking.

I basked in the candlelight that now lit my room.

My brother sat on top of my bed in the darkness. His image was much like my own. He only had a paler complexion, blonde hair, and daring green eyes. He read and did his homework, in the dark, but he had a reading light. The reading light was actually mine. A friend gave it to me. I never thought it would’ve come to any use, but today it obviously did.

A blackout took over the entire street of Bradford.

“You know, I wish this blackout lasted a while.” I told my brother, Varen. He just continued with his work.

“Why?” He put down his pencil to flip a page in his textbook.

“Well, not having electricity for these few hours has made me realize that I never really appreciated it until it was lost.”

“Pfft,” Varen flipped the page and went back to work.

“You know it’s true. You never really appreciate anything until it’s lost, whether it’s something small like good food, hot water, or electricity.” We had lost all of those at the moment. I looked out at our dark neighborhood and thought of all the neighbors, who ran away when the darkness came. They ran away to relatives and friends with electricity. They wouldn’t find out how to appreciate the small things. They wouldn’t learn. They would never know.

I was actually thankful. I was thankful that the darkness stayed as long as it did.

Lightning struck.

Thunder roared.

Rain fell.

“The darkness took away the electricity. With the electricity, it took all the distractions. Facebook. Internet. Computers. TV. Radio. Light. Heat. It brought something, with all those things that it took away though. Do you know what the darkness brought with it?”

My brother laughed. “The cold? Boredom? Worry?”

“No. It brought something that you would cherish. Something that would help us deal with the coldness, the boredom, and the worries.”

“What? What could the blackout possibly bring?” His green eyes darted toward my direction.

“It brought us together and showed us we can live without electricity. It showed us that in the dark, we will always find and have each other.”

“Pfft,” Varen still didn’t understand though, but he will in time. He flipped another page in his textbook.

I opened another page in the chapter of my life. The chapter’s title: Appreciation.

4 comments:

janin said...

Vatche this is great!!!wonderful!!How do you do this man!!??It's to good!!I love how you brought it out and pointed out that people really don't understand the true meaning of things unless it is gone!!!I love it!!!Keep it up.

Vatche said...

Thank you again, Janin. I appreciate your thoughts and comments. It is very true that people don't understand the true meaning of things until they're gone and I conveyed that in the piece. I'll keep trying my best.

Shadow said...

we went through a period of load-shedding about 2 years ago, and i loved how it brought back the art of convervation during that time. creativity in finding things to do. and of course my favourite, watching flickering candlelight on the walls... there's a light to every dark...

Vatche said...

Very true, Shadow, there is a light to every dark, a yin to every yang. I always try to make the moments in my life as creative as possible, which is probably why I made this blog, to share those moments with people and relate.

Watching candlelights flicker their images onto the walls and release their sweet perfumes of scented smoke is always a fun thing to do when the lights go out.

Thanks for the comment, much appreciation.

Post a Comment