Saturday, June 12, 2010

95


“Ninety-five pounds. That's a big number.” My doctor took a second look at me.

“Yeah, I practically lost a person.” I laughed a bit nervously. It’s always like this ever since I’ve lost all the weight. People get surprised, including my own physician.

“So,” he looked me in the eyes, “how did you do it?” I noticed the man was a bit chubby. He wanted advice, probably. “I bet that I’m not the first one to ask you.”

“Yeah,” I took a deep breath, “you’re not. Well, I just dieted and exercised until my butt fell off.”

“Literally or figuratively?” He checked behind me as a joke.

“Well, figuratively.” My doctor’s eyes fell off me and went to his clipboard.

“It’s good that you did it the right way.” He scratched his balding head.

“Well, though I wished I didn’t have to suffer through that whole year of running and whatnot. And instead, I wish I could’ve just cut myself open and stuck a vacuum to clean-up all the fat, I’m still glad I did it the right way even if it was harder.”

“So, what’s your secret?” The doctor put down the clipboard, readjusted his glasses to his face, and then crossed his arms.

“Well, I guess soda was my biggest enemy. I used to drink it throughout the day, but I replaced soda with water, which helped a lot.”

“How did you stay so focused?” He started looking, no, he started analyzing me.

“I’m a very determined person, I guess. My friends could vouch for my patience on things.” I laughed.

“Now, Vatche,” he grabbed his clipboard from his desk, “this is my last question before we're done, but you don’t have to answer it if you don’t want to, of course.”

I shook my head in agreement. “It’s ok, doc, ask away.”

“What was the trigger to make you start all of this?”

“My…trigger,” I repeated the words and tried to recall the memories. The few memories that came to mind were how I was teased for being chubby, my parents were disgusted with my habits, and how the only second look I would get from people was of horror. “I guess that I was just tired of it all.”

“Tired of what?” He wanted specifics. I bet that if he didn’t want to be a doctor, he would’ve definitely become a successful journalist with the questions he was asking me.

“I was tired of being the fat guy. I was tired of carrying that other person, that ninety-five pound person, on my back. I used to way over two-hundred and forty-five pounds and I knew it was unhealthy! I knew I wasn’t living my life the right way, so I decided to change. I started to control myself. I started to control myself because—” I paused, “because I didn’t want to—to die.” The last word was almost a whisper.

The doctor put his hand on my shoulder. “It’s ok, Vatche. I completely understand. Now, just take it easy. I didn’t mean to push your buttons like that.”

“I know, doc.” I sighed.

“Good. Now, get up and live your life outside of this crappy hospital.”

“So, we’re done with the check-up?”

“Is there anything wrong with you that you didn’t tell me?”

“No.”

“Good. Now, just go down that corridor right there and ask that lady with the blue dress to give you your shots.” He smiled.

“Wait, shots?! I don’t like shots.”

“What happened to that determined individual I just saw in there?” The doctor said as we walked outside and he closed the door behind him.

“Screw that, I don’t want to have any needles in me!” I started walking away (brisk jogging) and noticed my dad coming up behind me as I tried running away from the lady with the needles. “See yah later, doc,” I waved my hand and tried looking for the nearest exit, "thanks for everything."

I always hated shots.

How about you, dear readers, do you have anything you're proud of? Any success stories out there in the blogosphere?

30 comments:

Nehha said...

Congratulations to you!!! I am so very indisciplined. Hopefully someday I would be sharing my weight loss success story as well....by God's grace:)

God Bless!

Vatche said...

Hey, Nehha. Thank you so much. I'm sure you'll succeed, you just have to put your mind to it. Thanks for the comment, God bless, and write on!

Emma said...

Hello Vatche,
I saw your comment on The English Writers post.]and thought I would pop by.
I am so impressed with your weight loss..!
I need to lose weight, but I just can't find that trigger. I saw you drunk coke, I drink Lattes and whilst drinking them like to have a danish or a cake, not good.
Anyway, Well done you and good luck with your writing..Em x

Vatche said...

Hey, Emma. Thank you for your comment and for following me! :)

Well, I'm sure you'll succeed and find your trigger to start living life healthy. Thank you for everything and good luck to you too!

Write on!

Ashelynn D. Sanford said...

Oh, I hate shots too. *shudder* Do I have a success story? Yes, I do - and my trigger was the one of your same reasons; I didn't want to die. Will I share the success story? Maybe sometime in the future on my blog, but not right now. It's one of those things in my past that I want to keep hidden, y'know? Although I'm proud of myself... I just don't want to go around talking about it.

Good job, Vatche. I'm proud. :)

Vatche said...

Well, Ashelynn, when you're ready to share I'll be ready to read and comment. Thank you for your thoughts, words, and support! :)

Write on!

Patty said...

Vatche...that is awesome...and you now will be much healthier and happier and lighter...

Amparo Ortiz said...

Woot, woot!! Congrats, man! That's something you should always be proud of.

As for me? I guess I'm proud of trying and failing. I've done exactly what I promised myself at age 13--everything. And here I am now, living my dream at 23. Took me long enough :D

notesfromnadir said...

Vatche,
Congratulations on your weight loss. Soda, whether diet or regular, is filled w/ high fructose corn syrup which is really bad for you. I hope you read labels now because foods w/ this additive, & they are plentiful indeed, cause weight gain. Even ketchup has it.

Your doctor was right & you know it -- you did it the right way, the sensible way. Hopefully, more people will read your inspiring story & if they need to lose weight they will. They'll lose it by eating sensibly [& only when hungry] & exercising.

Vatche said...

Hey, Patty! Thank you for your kind words. I am definitely healthier, happier, and lighter now. It feels as though I am a new person. Write on!

Vatche said...

Thank you, Amparo, for your two cents, as well. I am proud of myself and still working on losing more than ninety-five pounds.

It is also cool that you're following your dreams. I am trying to live my dream and become a successful writer one day. Hopefully, my dream will come true.

Write on!

Amanda Sablan said...

Congratulations, man! I hear success stories like yours all the time, and people still wonder if they can do it.

As for me, I used to be quite uncomfortable around people, but now I can easily chat up a complete stranger. I would just throw myself into social situations and take on whatever happened. All it takes is perseverance. You fail, you learn from that failure and try again. Each day is a new beginning where anything can happen. :)

Vatche said...

Thank you, Lisa(notesfromnadir)!

Yeah, I also read labels now and watch for high fructose corn syrup...and the dreaded ketchup.

Thank you for your kind words, thoughts, and comments. Everything is greatly appreciated! Write on! :)

Vatche said...

Hey, Amanda! Thank you! Of course people can do it, they just have to try and believe in themselves.

I also used to be very shy around people, but now I can talk to complete strangers about anything. Plus, I set up a nice comfort-zone around the people I talk to, so they can open up to me, as well.

Lastly, I love your quote, "Each day is a new beginning where anything can happen." This is so very true, including in my life. Everyday is a blank slate, a tabula raza, and it is our job to fill that slate.

Write on!

Angel-Star said...

Vatche, thank you for your insightful commentary on beauty, and for your instuctions on how to link. i am amazed at your talents and deep soul!

Amber Lynae said...

Congrats Vatche. I have been trying to get up the willpower to keep myself motivated even in the face of temptation.

Part of my problem is I wasn't always t chubby girl. So a lot of the time I still mentally think of myself as the skinny girl, but I eat like the chubby girl.

I loved the way you wrote the scene.

Vatche said...

Hey, Angel-Star, no problemo on the comments and the instructions on how to link. When someone needs help, I'm there for them...sort of like a geeky superhero, I guess.

Thank you for your awesome words. Write on!:)

Vatche said...

Thank you, Amber! Keep fighting and I'm sure the willpower will eventually be seen. I'm glad you enjoyed the story. :)

Thank you for everything and write on!

Elisabeth said...

Wow Vachte, Congratulations, as everyone else here seems to be saying, not just for the loss of weight - if indeed it is true and not a fiction - but also and mostly for this writing. I could not stop reading.

It's wonderful.

Sometimes art feels better than life. I'm sure it was difficult to achieve - this writing, this wight loss - but on paper it looks effortless.

Thanks.

WritingNut said...

Congratulations Vatche! I know how hard this is, and I'm glad you were able to stick to it and achieve your goal. I hope I have a story like that soon - it's been a goal since last year. I need to cut out the soda too... and the chocolate...Will power!

This was a great post :)

Vatche said...

Hey, Elisabeth, thank you! It is true and not fiction, I can guarantee it. I'm glad you enjoyed the writing, too. :)

As for achieving this writing and weight loss, I just try, really. I try and try again. I fail and fail again until I succeed.

Thank you for your thoughts, comments, and words. Thank you for everything.

Vatche said...

Hey, WritingNut, thank you for becoming a follower on my blog! :)

I'm sure you'll have a story even better than my own, you just have to start it! Thank you for all your cool words. Write on and fight on!

Anonymous said...

take your shots, you wimp. if ur so afraid of death then those shots should be the first thing on your list.

-Rafi

Vatche said...

Hey, Raf! I did end up taking those shots and I am not afraid of shots anymore actually, but that is a different story for a different day. Thank you for your comment! :)

Cleverly Inked said...

Thought I was reading a story. Great post. Congratulations!

Vatche said...

Hey, Cleverly Inked, glad to see your comment! I'm glad you enjoyed the post and as for the whole story thing, my life is a giant story.

Everyone's life is a story actually.

So, why shouldn't it be written like one?

Plus, I find it way more interesting to write in narrative form. Anyway, thanks again for everything. Write on!

Jayne said...

Well done you! It takes a lot of dedication and commitment to change your life, as well as being able to have that insight as to why you want or need to in the first place - so many people haven't got it. So a big pat on the back to you!

My success story would probably be a determination to keep going, no matter what. Even it's success, or it is plain stubborness!

Vatche said...

Hey, Jayne, thank you for your kind words! It does require a lot of dedication and commitment to change one's life style. It was hard for me in the beginning, but now it's okay.

Also, glad to hear I'm not the only stubborn one out there in the blogosphere. So, fight on and write on!

Falen said...

good on you!
i need to lose quite a bit of weight. It's so hard

Vatche said...

Hey, Falen, thank you! It is very hard to lose weight, but I'm sure you can do it! :)

Post a Comment