Saturday, June 26, 2010

Egged On


“Vatche?”

“Huh?” I looked at the house smothered in a new color: yellow.

“Don’t tell this to anyone.” My aunt looked at me from the corner of her eye.

I was still half-awake, half-asleep. I rubbed my eyes and couldn’t imagine who could’ve done this to my home, especially at two o’clock in the morning. I was filled with anger and hate as I saw some of the yellow drip onto the cement floor of my driveway. I stepped on white shells that cracked underneath my feet like bones. I was disgusted by the thought of people doing such a thing.

Why egg my house?

I walked inside the house as my brother came out with some soap and gloves. We switched glances. “How many?”

My brother stopped in the middle of the threshold of the front door. “How many of what?” He looked as tired as I was. We had to get up early to clean up the mess, which was never supposed to have been created.

“Ponies,” I said sarcastically. “How many eggs are there on the house, Varen? Duh.”

“At least fifteen are on the house and maybe six are on our cars.” I started walking away to get some breakfast. My feet felt heavy against the wooden floor. I felt heavy with thoughts, memories, and suspects. I heard the water from the hose spray the walls of the house.

“Second time this month,” I said to myself. “Who in the hell hates us? Who in the hell hates me?”

My brother pops into the kitchen, “I think it was just someone random. Some punk ass kids or something,” he snatched more soap from the kitchen cabinet.

“Don’t go looking for wolves among sheep, eh?” I told him.

“Basically,” he slammed the door to the kitchen cabinet and went back outside.

I poured my cereal and thought of all the grudges I held, all the fights I’ve had, and all the hate I’ve collected over the eighteen years of my life. I stared at my milky reflection in the cereal bowl.

What did I see?

I saw the darkest moments in the whitest waters.

I saw fists thrown, trying to escape the waters they were trapped in. They tried reaching for my neck, for my face, for me. I saw the coldest of goodbyes. The darkest, bloodshot eyes. Arguments in alleyways. Backstabbing. Friends becoming enemies. Backs turned. Yelling. Screaming. People hiding in corners.

I poured the rest of the milk down the drain. I couldn’t stand looking at it any longer. The darkness of my life. Then, I remembered something I read last night in a book, “We were put on this earth for a reason. We were put here to experience happiness. Remember the happy things. Don’t focus on the hate in this world.” It was something along those lines.

Last night.

I remembered that I twisted and turned in the heat of the summer night in white sheets. I heard laughter. A chuckle and something hitting my wall. I dismissed it though. It had to be them. It had to be those kids, who threw the eggs at the house.

A hand woke me up and back to reality. “Vatche?” It was Clara, my aunt.

“Huh?” I stared at her eyes that have probably seen worse than this. She lived in the time of the Revolution in Iran. She must’ve seen at least some bloodshed. I remember hearing stories from her about a man being carried away in a coffin and people tearing that coffin into shreds.

“Are you okay, Vatche?”

“I’m fine. I’m just— frustrated.” I noticed the yolk on her clothing. The slime that covered the towels in her hand. The color of hate wasn’t red, but yellow.

“It’s okay.” She walked off without another word. I saw the anger in her face, as well. We were victims of some prank. I saw the darkness not only in the random act of throwing eggs, but also in myself.

“You shouldn’t think about it too much.” My brother smiled as he walked into the house. “So what? Some kids threw eggs at our house. There’s worse that could’ve happened. There was no shooting, no one died, nothing happened. So, we have a mess on some of our walls. Big. Freakin’. Deal.”

“I guess, you’re right.” I took the towels in his hands and threw them into the washing machine.

“Finally,” my brother flipped the switch, “you understand.”

The towels twirled. My eyes fixated on the water rising, the bubbles foaming, and the darkness in the water disappearing. Everyone has darkness in his/her past. It’s what makes us human. We don’t only live on successes, but also failures. Failures in friendships, relationships, tests, obstacles, and everything really. The only thing I have to do is fix all those failures. Someway. Somehow.

The water swished.

“Are you coming to wash down your car or what?” My brother called out.

“I’m coming.” I put on my shoes and ran.

“Screw the darkness.” I whispered underneath my breath.


How about you, dear reader? Have you experienced pranks on your home? What's your opinion on the darkness in human hearts? Do you ever 'forgive and forget' or do you tend to focus on past mistakes?

20 comments:

The Words Crafter said...

Oh, I could write a book about the darkness...I'm sorry that happened to you. We finally bought a house last November. Before that, we lived in an apartment between drug dealers and a guy who had his entire band over, amps and all, and played all night/morning. Once, my husband saw some of the drug dealer's friends trying to get into our cars. He called out to them to stop and called the landlord. The next morning...eggs all over our front door. People who do such infantile things are ignorant. Do I forgive? Yes, forgiveness is a choice, not a feeling. Sometimes, I have to keep forgiving, a little more each time I think about whatever it is that causes me pain or anger. But, I remember. Remembering keeps me alert, wise, cautious...

Patty said...

After you get even...then it is time to forgive and forget...hee hee hee...

Jemi Fraser said...

I'm so sorry about the eggs. It's so frustrating. We've had a few incidents locally like that. Tends to happen the week of high school exams for some reason.

For the most part I'm pretty good at forgiving. But it's a little different if someone hurts my kids or my family - I have a harder time then. I'm learning.

Anonymous said...

what a waste of milk, man. you deserved to be egged if all you're doing is dumping milk down the drain everytime u feel bad. haha

-Rafi

Nicole MacDonald said...

I remember when I was a kid someone toilet papered our car... was strange

Nehha said...

I forgive and forget if it does not bother me much. The funda is simple for me, if I can't forget about it, there must be something wrong in the prank. Otherwise, I am cool with pranks as long as they're not mean.

Amanda Sablan said...

Those bastards! I would've found where they live and did the same to their house, only ten times as bad. Maybe some pies thrown in, too. I'm serious. D: I'm sorry to hear about it.

That said, I have had two occasions where some friends of my brother's (I think) toilet papered our house, but it was just a little bit and I'm quite sure it wasn't to be mean. My mother and I actually laughed. But then there were a few times in which a subdivision my mom's boyfriend is putting up had grafittied houses, broken windows, and stolen materials. Needles to say, we DID NOT think that was funny.

For the most part I forgive and forget, even if it's not always easy. People make mistakes, but that's the only way they can learn from them. Obviously there's a limit, but if no one's been raped or killed, I don't see why we can't just forgive their insecurity, because that's exactly what causes someone to be hurtful in the first place: they feel inadequate in some way and angry with themselves.

I try to do what the book you read said and keep in mind all that makes me happy, rather than focusing on what makes me unhappy. We learn to do that on a daily basis, nothing can touch us. :)

Piedmont Writer said...

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Twice. A very great man once said, "Please forgive them, they know not what they do."

People are stupid when their prejudice shows. It's all about the fear. They are afraid of you, therefore they want you to be afraid of them. Stay strong Vatche, don't let them break you because then you become one of them. Afraid.

Vatche said...

Hey, Words Crafter, I think I can write about a book about the darkness, as well. (I think I already did, but it's a different type of darkness.)It's okay what happened, because eggs are easy to wash off (after a little scrubbing). That's an interesting story and it's good your husband stopped them before breaking into your car, but it sucks about your front door being egged.

As for forgiveness, I love how you said, "Forgiveness is sometimes a choice, not a feeling," which is true. I think remembering for me, as well, keeps me cautious and alert.

Write on, fight on, and forgive, but remember!

Vatche said...

Hello, Patty! I'm not the revenge type, at least that's what I believe. I tend to forgive, but not forget. I remember the pain and the anger I was caused, but I forgive.

Write on and I'm sure if anyone messes with you, they will be in a world of eggs!

Vatche said...

It's no problem, Jemi, even though it's quite frustrating. Yeah, my house also got egged around the time of high school final exams. Kids, tests, and eggs.

I feel the same about people hurting my family or friends, it would be harder to forgive, but I never forget. I always remember.

Write on!

Vatche said...

Hey, Raf!

It was my first time dropping milk down the drain, okay? I wasn't going to put it back into the milk bottle, because it had some cereal bits in it still. I don't think I deserved to be egged for such a thing though.

Vatche said...

Hello, Nicole! I had a friend, who got his entire house toilet papered, he said it was much worse than getting egged because toilet paper doesn't wash off as easily. He had to take each individual piece off.

It's definitely strange though that only your car got toilet papered. Hmmm...

Anyway, write on!

Vatche said...

Hello, Nehha! I think we don't realize how far pranks can go until they are done on us. Then, they are mean. I'm definitely going to think twice about the next time I do a prank. Some are harmless and just for fun, but egging someone's house isn't harmless fun.

Write on!

Vatche said...

Hello, Amanda! I'm sure if anyone messes with you they will be in a world filled with eggs and even pies. It's okay what happened to me just as long as no one got hurt then I'm fine.

As for your mom's boyfriend, I don't think anyone would enjoy or laugh at broken windows, graffiti, or stealing things. That's serious stuff and not even pranks like egging or toilet papering a house.

On forgiving and forgetting, I agree it is not easy. People do make mistakes, but that's what makes us human, and you're right that we learn from those mistakes. I think you're onto something about the people, who do the pranks, being insecure about themselves. I'll definitely look more into that. If we do what the book said and remember the happy things in life, nothing can touch us; I agree with you 110% on that.

Write on, live on, and fight on!

Vatche said...

Hey, Piedmont Writer! I think that quote is very true. Those kids, who egged my house, probably didn't know what they had done. They didn't know that their egging had made me realize the darkness in human hearts. It made me realize that this world isn't so happy all the time and that is filled with people, who are angered, in pain, or just bored with their lives.

I won't let them change me and become afraid of the world. You bring up an interesting point, similar to Amanda's, saying that the kids were "afraid", Amanda said they were "insecure." I agree with both, but the thing is that I want to know the reason why they are this way. Maybe I'll never know and it'll become one of my life's mysteries?

Anyway, interesting points made, Piedmont Writer. Write on and stay strong! Never be afraid!

Tsionah N said...

I just joined your blog and I find what you write to be interesting!

I can be somewhat of a prankster myself, but I avoid causing to much trouble or damage. It should be funny for the receiver and giver.

In the case of forgiveness, it all depends on what the situation is. I always try to forgive and move past whatever the situation was... sometimes it takes longer though.

Please check out and read my blog too. tsionahnovick@blogspot.com. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

you take yourself too seriously- it's not hate, it's boredom

Vatche said...

Hey, Tsionah (that's an interesting name)! Thank you for joining my blog, I'll be sure to join your blog, as well.

I agree that pranks can be fun if it doesn't cause too much trouble or damage and is funny for the receiver and the giver.

As for the forgiveness part, I think you're right and depends on the situation, but my personality allows me to forgive almost whatever the situation unless someone was killed or raped or something.

I will definitely check out your blog and write on!

Vatche said...

Maybe you're right, Anonymous. Maybe I was caught up in my moment of anger and probably took some random prank and made it something it isn't.

Maybe it was out of boredom instead of hate that those kids threw eggs at my house, because some kids who don't have any reasons in their lives usually just do the most random of things to entertain themselves and torture the rest of us.

Who knows?

Anyway, thanks for the input! :)

Post a Comment