Saturday, July 10, 2010

On Being Human: A Poem


Right now,
The heavens sing her name,
Whispers it into my ears,
Makes me imagine her sweet lips,
Almost as sweet as chocolate,
It was her kiss.

Her hand and its delicate touch,
Traces soft outlines on my neck,
Her fingers cold as a lake of ice,
My body as warm as a bed of fire,
We are made for each other,
But the heavens sing her name,
And they begin to take her away.

She calls out my name,
Screams at the top of her lungs,
As she ascends,
Never to be seen again
By human eyes, especially mine,
The angels sweep down and hold her tight,
Take her towards the light,
She tries to escape,
But it was too late.
The clouds cover the skies,
Her face full of fright,
As the heavens sang her name,
I called out to her just the same.

Beings of unparalleled thought,
Of the purest and innocent hearts,
Roamed the skies that day,
As the heavens sang her name.

They took her away from me,
So I decided to take her back,
Steal her away from the gods,
Steal her away without second thoughts,
To get back what I rightfully had,
The heart of a lover,
The soul of the kindest kind,
And the mind of an intellectual that would tease me until the end of time.

So, I walk the stairs towards the pearly gates,
I do not wait for them to call my name,
I knock on heaven’s doors,
And ask them if they would take one more.
They would not accept me for I was not dead,
I cried out her name and the heavens began to sing again.
They taunted me,
Even though they were supposed to be pure,
They said that I could never have her,
They said that I could cry and scream,
But the heavens will still sing her name.

I did not care for what they had said,
So I opened the pearly gates
That shined the reflection of a man.
With both of my hands,
I pushed and opened the white gates,
To find that everyone there was amazed.
“A human here,” they said,
“And he is not dead.”

I walked through the clouds and smoke,
Pushing through the winged beings that spoke,
Saw the birds in the skies,
And found the dead with warm eyes,
But I did not pay any attention to them,
I was here for her instead.

I saw her looking at the flowers down on Earth,
With eyes that were full of tears and full of hurt,
She wanted to live again,
She wished the heavens did not sing her name,
She wished and wished,
But everything still remained the same.

I was there with her now,
Regardless of being a human being,
I climbed the stairs of heaven and opened the pearly gates,
And now I grabbed her hands and held them in mine,
I told her that I would be with her ‘til the end of time.

She smiled and laughed,
Because she knew that time was never a factor in our love,
She knew that no human could understand,
But she still held my hand,
Tightly and I felt her cold touch,
But I never cared too much.

Then, other hands came down on me,
They said to leave her be,
But I said that our love was destined, our love was fate,
They did not listen,
They grabbed and threw me outside of those pearly gates,
And said,
“Never come back again
Until I was dead.”

So, that is why I tell you my last story now,
That is why you hold a knife in your hand, dear friend,
I just want to ascend,
I cannot do it myself,
If I do, they’ll take me to hell.
So I ask you to make this sacrifice for me,
Take that knife,
Take my life
Away from me.

I want to be a part of heaven,
I want to sing her name,
I want to die,
And know that she’ll be a part of my new life.

I gave a smile to my friend,
Knowing that this may be the end,
But he resisted, saying that it was not right,
Saying that I should not fight
Against heaven’s will,
But I could not just sit still.
He said that I had to wait,
Until Death comes to take me away
To those pearly, white gates.

So, I wait here now for you,
The love of my life,
As the heavens sing your name,
I remember everything about you,
As I wait and talk to your flowery grave.

12 comments:

Amanda Sablan said...

Nicely done. That was very provocative.

The Words Crafter said...

Love eternal, loss unspeakable, pain unending, hopeful patience...wow!

::Owning the Words:: said...

How bold you are to knock on the gates of heaven to redeem love. And the last line captured the essence of loss and loneliness of want and wait.

Vatche said...

Hey, Amanda!

Thank you for your kind words! Write on!

Vatche said...

Hello, The Words Crafter!

I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm glad you enjoyed the piece.

Write on and love on!

Vatche said...

Hey, Owning the Words!

It wasn't I who knocked on the gates of heaven, but my character; I could never be so bold.

I especially love the last line, as well, which really just came out of left field for me when I was writing it.

Write on!

::Owning the Words:: said...

Every character is part of you, birthed by your hand. So in essence that is you ;D Also, I love it when writing takes an unexpected twist in the throes of scribe!~

Vatche said...

You're very true on that fact, Owning the Words. All my characters are a part of me and I am a part of them.

I'm glad you enjoy the twists and turns in my writing, I always love to make things seem like they are going one way, but end up in the opposite direction. It's a great way of keeping the reader on edge, in my opinion.

Write on!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Evocative and haunting. Great job. You have a real lyrical talent.

Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving such nice comments, Roland

Vatche said...

Hey, Roland!

Thank you for the awesome adjectives. I'm just trying my best right now and finding my poetic voice.

No problemo for the comments, you seriously deserve them. All your pieces are evocative, haunting, and nostalgic for me. Always an awesome read.

Write on!

Falen (Sarah) said...

very nice.

LOVE the accompanying picture

Vatche said...

Thank you, Falen (Sarah)!

I'm glad you enjoyed not only the story, but also the picture. It was hard finding an accompanying picture for this one, but I found it eventually!

Write on!

Post a Comment