Saturday, August 7, 2010

Are You Afraid of the Dark?




The boat in the darkness that swayed back and forth. The rusted chains of empty swings squeaked as they were pushed by the ominous wind. Window shutters opened and closed as a storm raged on. Creepy laughter at the top of an attic filled with junk. Lastly, a hand lit a match for the TV show to begin. This was how I ended my Saturday nights when I was a kid. I ate dinner and watched my favorite show, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, with my brother.

The television series revolved around a bunch of teenagers who called themselves “The Midnight Society.” Every week, at their secret spot in the woods, one member of the Society would tell a scary story to the group. The actual story was then displayed to the viewers. Each time one of the kids started their story by saying, “Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society, I call this story...” and then the storyteller threw a handful of sugar from a leather pouch into the campfire, which heightened the flames and created a creepy white smoke. The storyteller would announce the title of the story and then begin.
 
I remember watching this in the corner of my yellow, floral couch with a colorful, checkered blanket that covered my lap. I would be entranced by the stories that the teenagers told on television of dragons, werewolves, cursed soup, gargoyles, leprechauns, and ghosts. It was like The Twilight Zone, but aimed at my age group and in color. There was no Rod Serling, but there were these storytellers that were kids.
 
Every night I would watch these scary stories and even get nightmares or stay up at night because of them. I loved their atmospheres though, which is why I couldn’t stop watching. It inspired me to write my own scary stories and to submit them to the Midnight Society. I wanted to be a part of the campfire and stay up at night to tell my stories of epic adventures and horrible horrors. So, I wrote.
 
I must admit that I did write some stupid things, but I still loved it. I loved the idea of one day joining the ranks of the other storytellers. I loved the idea of one day telling my story among them. I loved the idea so much that it carried onto my teenage years and until now. I still want to be a part of the group of people who love to tell stories, regardless of them being scary or not. I became a writer so I could tell those stories that I couldn’t tell when I was a kid.
 
Now, I look back on the show and watch it on the internet and I noticed the simplicity of it all. It still delivered all those eerie vibes and goosebumps after all these years. The memories I have of hiding underneath my blanket and watching that show with eyes of wonder and fear. I want to convey those same strong emotions to my readers today.
 
One of the teenagers would put out the fire after the story was finished. They would all leave and the smoke would still rise from the dead flames. The ashes flew into the air, only to be carried off into the wind. I would be there on my couch waiting for them to come back. I wanted to tell them my story still.

I’ve waited all this time and that little kid is still waiting. It’s been over ten years now, but I still have my stories. I guess that I just have a bigger audience now. I’m ready to tell my scary story to the Midnight Society of the World.

“Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society, I call this story…” I threw the sugar onto the flames of the campfire and let the night begin with my words.


14 comments:

Nicole MacDonald said...

And we can't wait to read it!

Tabitha Bird said...

Go you! Midnight Society approves :)

Nehha N Josshi said...

I keep coming back to read what you've written this time....you write beautifully! :)

The Words Crafter said...

This is the coolest post! My nephew and I used to watch this together sometimes. And, though I was much older than the teenagers, I wanted to be a part of the group. I'm glad that you're going to be sharing your stories with the 'online' Midnight Society....I'll bring the popcorn and marshmallows!

Journaling Woman said...

To answer your title question, YES I am afraid of the dark. And I love writing scary things late at night that scare the heeby jeebies out of me. Most of the time, I can only write so much before I am freaked out and stop.

Great post. Can't wait for your story.

Teresa

also at: http://theruralhood.blogspot.com/

Cruella Collett said...

I loved that show! It scared me to bits and pieces, but I loved it nonetheless! Thanks for reminding me :)

Amanda Sablan said...

I remember that show! Horror would always spook the hell out of me, and although I'd never have nightmares, I'd spend forever trying to get to sleep because of my paranoid fear that someone would reach up from under my bed and get me...

Now that I've grown older though, the dark doesn't scare me.

Vatche said...

Hey, Nicole!

Thanks for the overwhelming amount of support. I'll be glad to share my stories with the world soon!

Write on and keep your eyes and ears open! :D

Vatche said...

Hello, Tabitha!

Thanks for the approval! I finally got it! I finally got it! *JUMPS IN THE AIR* I will definitely start writing the horror story soon...or maybe I should just revise my old ones!

Write on!

Vatche said...

How's it going, Nehha? :D

Your comment made my day! Thank you for all the wonderful feedback. I'm glad you enjoy my pieces every time you come back here.

Write on and read on!

Vatche said...

Hey, The Words Crafter!

I can officially join the Midnight Society at my age now, but sadly, it doesn't exist anymore on television. However, you're right! There is still the "online" Midnight Society, where I can share my stories via my blog!

Okay, you bring the marshmallows and popcorn and I'll bring the water and the sugar for the fire. Write on and welcome to the Online Midnight Society!

Vatche said...

Hello, Journaling Woman/ Teresa!

Yeah! I love writing at night and scaring myself with the monsters of my mind! It's also a good adrenaline rush, so that I can stay awake instead of going to sleep.

Thank for the kind words and I'm sure my story will be posted up soon. Write on and get your scare on!

Vatche said...

Hey, Cruella, what's up? :D

I'm glad I gave you that nostalgic feel while reading the pieces; I also went through a sort of flashback while writing it. It's good to be reminded of those fun childhood memories of hiding underneath the blanket and watching my favorite TV shows.

Write on!

Vatche said...

Hello, Amanda! :)

Oh, I know the feeling of staying up at strange hours of the night with that paranoid feeling, because of watching horror movies and TV shows as a kid. It's good to know that you've gotten over your fear of the dark, I believe I have too. Though at times, my fears get the best of me and return every once in a while after watching something really disturbing.

Write on and conquer your fears!

Post a Comment