Monday, August 30, 2010

Rewind, Summer, Rewind


Last Saturday, I had my official Farewell Party. We all had fun, but it was sad because summer was coming to an end and I could see it on everyone’s faces that they didn’t want it to. One of my friends said that it was an “enchanted summer” and I agree that it was, but it won’t be our last.

What is summer?

Summer to me is playing video games with my friends and laughing at the way we can be so cheap even though we are just smashing buttons. Summer is when I meet some new friends from all parts of the world and spend time with the old ones.

Playing at the beach, that’s summer. Watching the seagulls caw and fly around me because I seem to have a bunch of chips in my backpack.

Going to the carnival, Six Flags, or Disneyland. Lots of people do that over the summer, don’t they? Screaming my lungs off and getting blow dried by 60 mph rides or getting wet on those man-made river rollercoasters.

Summer is when I can pig out at barbecues and go swimming. When I cannot care about my diet for that one moment, because the burgers are so tempting, the ice cream is melting, and I want to eat them for once. So, I won’t hold back.

Summer is about learning about myself and about others. I’m out of school and I don’t have homework on my mind 24/7. The only thing that’s going on in my head is going to be “What am I doing today? Tomorrow? This week?” I find that I’m am living in the moment for once. I’m not thinking about my future as much, but at the same time I find myself thinking about it after living in the moment for too long. Where will I be in life? What am I going to do? What college am I going to?

Summer is about those long nights talking to friends whether it is on the telephone or online, email or facebook. The communication is important. That is another definition of summer.

Summer is about hugs. Smiles. Tearful faces after seeing my loved ones only for an hour, because an hour is all that I need. It is about the long trips. The water balloons that we made together for fun. The games I play and participate in. The long walks on the beach holding each other’s hands. Sitting by my friends in the movie theaters and whispering our comments into each other's ears. The crazy nights in Santa Monica. The pecks on the cheek. The wildness of screaming stupid songs on someone’s ipod in the car while everyone stares. Learning that I am not alone in the world and that I have someone else on my side. Tutoring my neighbors and playing games with them so they can solve some math problems. Summer is about surprises and sunrises. It’s about sunsets and finding about what love really is.

That’s what summer is about.

The sun will rise everyday for thousands of more years. Hundreds of other summers will happen again and again. Yes, this was an enchanted summer, I have to agree. A summer to remember, a treasure chest of memories in my mind now locked tight. Summer will happen again next year and the year after that, but the thing that made this summer enchanting was you, my friends.

What is summer to you? Here’s some of my friends’ answers:

Mel O. Dramatic: Summer is when you're productive by not being productive. And this...





Rafi: Summer to me : MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA MELISSA


Sam: Summer to me is a great big mushy mess that I keep in the back of my mind. I can't distinguish what happened what summer, it's all tangled in my brain and intertwined with each other.

It's a time when order doesn't matter, when I literally live in the moment to the point that I don't know what day it is or what time it is, even where I'm supposed to be or where I am is hard to distinguish at times. My future doesn't matter. My past doesn't matter. All summer is, is a time for me to be purely me. I don't think about who that is, I just go with the flow.

Summer is a time for love. Love that I didn't know I would allow to happen while in school, love that changes me in a way each time I experience it. Not just the typical summer love, even though that's happened to me too, but the love that stays with you forever... that love that I keep in my pocket and pull out during fall and winter to remind me of what I'm capable of.

I can't define summer in a few paragraphs. It's everything for me from friends to sunshine, but I know that each summer will be added to the tangled mess I've grown so fond of.


Shantay: Summer means catching up on life. Friends. Memories. Art. You.

14 comments:

Falen (Sarah) said...

great. Now i miss summer and it's not even done yet

Carolyn V. said...

Vatche, that was perfect! It's making me miss summer, even though I was ready to give it up. Summer means sleeping in and not worrying about doing carpool all the time. =)

The Words Crafter said...

This is how I feel about autumn. Summer is hiding from the sun and heat and humidity. Summer is hurricanes and wicked lightening storms. Summer is allergies and head colds and children in my class that are ready to move on to their next class....

Autumn is cooler weather, the smell of apples and woodsmoke. Autumn is festivals, parties, hayrides, and holidays (at least the beginning of them). Autumn is about color and newness. Autumn is about cool rain, brilliant evening skies and mysterious frosty nights. Autumn is about adventure, strangers, shadows, and tall tales. Warm blankets, good books, a fire (or heater), bonfires with roasted marshmallows...snuggling, movies, game nights (Mad Gab is a fave)....

I'm glad you love summer and that this one was enchanted....you can have my share next year! :)

E. Elle said...

Beautiful post, Vatche. I miss my summer breaks but I think, as an adult, I enjoy summer in a whole new way. I love this season for so many reasons, not least of all because I have seasonal affectiveness disorder that makes fall and winter the most miserable times of year for me.

Quite happy to have found another summer lover. :)

Nehha N Josshi said...

Hi Vatche! You've explained summer in an interesting way. Well here, summers are interesting but along comes the unbearable heat which makes us want to stay indoors during the afternoons and enjoy. A long holiday is something which everyone enjoys and when you get one, the season doesn't matter, right? Hope you had a great time!

P.S.: I also enjoyed reading the pov of your friends ...especially Sam's.

Have a great day!
Nehha

Lynda Young said...

I'm excited now for summer after reading your post. Being in Australia, I'm seeing the end of winter. I'm a bit nervous about the coming hot weather. Not a huge fan of the heat. But your post made me smile and remember all the great things about summer....especially the BBQs :)

Smita Tewari said...

summer in India is the worst time of the year- we go around hot & bothered, with dysfunctional minds & perspiring bodies in a state of faint for almost 9 months! breathlessly, we look forward to winter!

Vatche said...

Hey, Falen, don't worry I feel the same way! I still have 3 1/2 more weeks of summer, but most of my friends already started school, so I'm missing summer already! :(

Cheer up, make the most of it, and write on!

Vatche said...

Carolyn, don't give it up just yet! You're absolutely right that summer means sleeping in and not having to worry about carpool! I've slept in so many times this summer, I don't know how I'll ever readjust to my college schedule.

Write on and take a nap even though it's the afternoon!Zzzzzzz....

Vatche said...

Hey, Becky/The Words Crafter!

Summer doesn't seem all fun for you, but I'm glad you are enjoying autumn though! Try to enjoy all the seasons and find the positives, rather than the negatives. I also won't take your share for summer, because I think you need it. All that time off can be good for you.

Write on!

Vatche said...

E.Elle, I'm glad you enjoyed the post! Yes, I'm a summer lover myself, mostly because I'm off from school and I get to hang out with my friends a lot.

It sucks how you have that disorder thing, you should make the most of every season. And perhaps, I'll enjoy summer in a new way when I become a little older, but for now, I believe that I'm still a kid at heart.

Write on and bask in the sun!

Vatche said...

Nehha, I completely agree that no matter what the weather is, one will enjoy the holidays! My summer was interesting even though it reached over 110 degrees here in California. In the end, it was perfect, regardless of the weather, because we had fun.

Also, yes, I enjoy Sam's the best too, because she seemed to put her whole heart into the description of her summer. I'll be sure to tell Sam what you think!

Have a great day and write on!

Vatche said...

Lynda, the BBQs are a definite part of summer. It must be interesting to live in Australia, because while you're getting ready for the summer, I'm preparing for the winter here in California by bringing out all the heavy blankets and switching on the heater. Lately, there have been a lot of cool nights instead of nights of summer heat, which means it's starting.

I'm also glad I made you smile, because making a person smile makes my day. :)

Write on and start preparing for summer, because it's coming fast!

Vatche said...

Smita, do not think of the negatives of summer. I'm sure there are only a few negatives compared to all the positives that summer can bring. It's interesting that you come from India and how it's summer most of the year with all the heat and whatnot. California is also blessed/cursed with a lot of sun, but you just got to accept it, because there's no way the sun is going to move any time soon.

So, write on and have some fun in the sun!

Post a Comment