Monday, August 23, 2010

Thank You for Letting Me Live



So, I almost died this weekend, because a pull-up bar hit me in the head. I realized how much I didn’t want to die and how I didn’t get to say anything to my friends or anyone. I didn’t get to tell them how much they were worth to me. I didn’t get to tell them why it was worth living. In the end though, I was worrying for nothing. I bled for three hours, sure, but I didn’t die. I did learn something from that experience though. I learned that I needed to say, “Thank you,” to everything and everyone just in case something like that happens again. Just in case, I don’t make it. So, here’s my message, here’s my thanks. (Even though, it isn’t Thanksgiving just yet, I never really took that holiday serious though, but maybe it’s time for a change.)


Thanks: (noun) – 1. Grateful feelings or thoughts; gratitude.
                            2. An expression of gratitude.

Thanks for being my friends. Thanks for the awesome phone conversations. The beach days. The days where we just chilled.  The ultimate mind games during Jenga. The funny prank calls. The talks on Facebook or Chatango. For all the awesome hugs that you give. The pecks on the cheek. The tears we shed together.  The discussions of anime and manga. Describing how a piston engine really works. The awesome hamburgers that your parents cooked and the terrible hamburgers that we cooked. The days when you cheered me to dive into the pool. The time when we told scary stories by flashlight. The endless birthday cakes and cakes for no reason at all. Thanks for all the laughs, the sharing of secrets, and the taunts.

Thanks for following my blog, dear readers. Thanks for the critiques, sharing your innermost thoughts, and opinions. Every two cents has added up to a billion by now, but don’t stop adding to the jar. Thanks for being a troll, a critic, a lover, a hater, and everything in between. Thanks for the one-word sentences and the endless essays. Thanks for responding back to my responses. Thanks for being a part of my journey.

Lastly, thanks for this awesome life. Thanks for chocolate chip cookies. Thank you for cakes that taste like heaven and cakes that taste like nothing at all. Thanks for smiles. Thank you for the sun, stars, and the moon. Thanks for books and eyes, so that I may read. Thanks for my two hands, so that I may write. Thanks for swimming pools for summer and the warm blankets for winter, the parks and the birds, and a working mind so that I may learn. Thanks for the internet, because without it I wouldn’t have been able to make so many new friends.

Thank you for everything and thank you for reading again.

Have you had a near-death experience? What are you thankful for? Who are you thankful for? 

18 comments:

Amparo Ortiz said...

"Thank you for cakes that taste like heaven and cakes that taste like nothing at all." Amen!

Seriously, though, I am suuuper happy to know you're okay. It sucks that it takes the worst to think about why our lives are the best. I'm proud of you for taking this time to give thanks all across the board in your life. Here's to many more cakes!!

The Words Crafter said...

Wow, Vatche! I just got on here to see how far behind I am in reading everyone's blog and your title blew me away. I'm so glad you're okay. This is so beautifully written, even with humor....Counting the time my parents were in a bad wreck on a very long bridge and I was still in the womb, I've had four....

One Christmas, I wanted to express to my family the gratefulness in my heart for so many things. It became The Project. From the beginning of Sept. to Christmas morning, my husband and I created eighteen pretty fantastic scrapbooks to give to my brother and his wife, my sister and her husband, my nephew, his mom and dad and his brother.

We saved our gifts till last (they needed full attention) and-his family cried. Mine actually became still (tells you something about me!).

I don't know why I shared that-but I felt compelled.

Anyway, again, very beautifully written....

RosieC said...

WHOA! I'm glad you're okay.

Lynda Young said...

ouch. That's a lot of bleeding.
I've not had a near-death experience, but I am thankful for my life. I'm thankful for everything in it -- family, friends, neighbours and strangers. I'm thankful for the time I have to write. I'm thankful for the food I eat (chocolate, strawberries, mash potato -- not all in the same dish). Everything!

E. Elle said...

I was just thinking today about the time I hydroplaned going around a curve. I hit gravel first, then water, and I started spinning around and around. I remember thinking "I'm going to die, I'm going to die" and then it just stopped. It turns out my dad -- who was in the passenger's seat -- had a clear enough head to reach over, grab the steering wheel, and guide the car appropriately. It was really scary and my stomach still turns when I have to go around a corner in the rain. But I'm thankful that my life didn't end in those twenty seconds that felt like forever.

I'm so happy to hear that you're okay! <3

Robert Guthrie said...

Wow.

I should probably stop there, but I'll add another "wow" and say that gratitude makes us human.

Jemi Fraser said...

Glad you're okay - that's scary stuff!

I like your list :)

Vatche said...

Hey, Amparo!

Yes, even though I'm on a diet, a cake is a cake, so thank God for that! Thanks for everything! I agree that it does suck when we only think of the best when the worst strikes us. We should think of the best all the time, during good and bad times!

Write on and here's to more cakes!!!

Vatche said...

Hello, The Words Crafter!

I'm glad that you enjoyed the title! I seriously just came up with it on the top of my head and decided to put it because I think it fits well with the rest of the piece.

I've had several near death experiences, but this is the most recent and most tragic one, I think.

The scrapbook thing is a cool idea! I should do that for my parents and family members sometime in the near future. So, thanks for the idea!

Lastly, never be afraid to share anything and write on!

Vatche said...

Thank you, RosieC, for your worries, but I'm fine right now. So, no more worries, okay?

Write on!

Vatche said...

Hey, Lynda Young!

Yes, it was a lot of bleeding. I'm thankful for the life that I had and the life that continues on still. It's good to be thankful for everything and thanks for sharing! I love my mom's mashed potatoes, they are the best that I've tasted EVER!

Write on and always be this thankful!

Vatche said...

Wow, E. Elle!

Hydroplaning is always scary. I've been in a car that hydroplaned and my heart jumped. I would be frozen in shock if that ever happened to me. I'm glad to hear that you're okay, too.

Write on!

Vatche said...

Hello, Robert Guthrie! Thanks for following my blog! I really appreciate it.

I'm glad that I got you to "wow" twice. It made my day! And I agree with you that gratitude does make us human, because nothing else in this world knows of gratitude I think.

Write on and be grateful for everything in this life!

Vatche said...

Hey, Jemi!

It is scary stuff, especially when the blood was gushing out of my head like a geyser. I'm super glad that you enjoyed my list of thanks; I would love to see you write one of your own sometime. You would be surprised at what you can come up with.

Write on!

Amanda Sablan said...

Uh, whoa. I'm glad you're all right! :O

This was a lovely post, and I am continually grateful for all those things you mentioned because you never know when you may end up on the verge between life and death.

Bluestocking said...

I am so sorry to hear this happened to you! But we need the bad times to appreciate all the good, I guess. I am thankful for every day, but I need to take the time to articulate it sometimes instead of taking it for granted.

Vatche said...

Thanks for the worries, Amanda, but I'm fine!

And you're right that you'll never know when death will strike, so it's good I said all my thanks right now, just in case, God forbid, something does happen.

Write on!

Vatche said...

It's okay Bluestocking! I always have some sort of accident over the summer. Last summer, I cut my palm really badly! This year a bump on the head. I wonder what's next year?

You're right that we need to have a few bad times in our lives to appreciate the good ones. I am glad to hear that you're thankful for every day that you're given! However, if you need to take some time and articulate on some things that you take for granted, then do it before it's too late!

Oh, and write on, of course!

Post a Comment