Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Mental Snack (35)


Share your thoughts...

"I used to feel so alone in the city. All those gazillions of people and then me, on the outside. Because how do you meet a new person? I was very stumped by this for many years. And then I realized, you just say, 'Hi.' They may ignore you. Or you may marry them. And that possibility is worth that one word." ~ Augusten Burroughs

How do you usually introduce yourself to people? Do you give them a handshake? Do you give them a warm hug? Say, "Hi!" or "What's up?" Start off with a joke? A personal story? What is one of the most awkward first-time meetings you've ever had? 

3 comments:

The Words Crafter said...

I usually smile and say 'Hey!' If there's a lot of people, and someone walks near enough for a word, I try to find something funny we can laugh about.

The most awkward? Meeting my husband's parents the first time-I'm 13 years older and just knew they'd not like me. Thankfully, I was wrong....

Carolyn V. said...

I always ask them a question about themselves. Many of them will just start talking and then there are usually introductions and friendships made. But to be honest, it took me a long time to learn that...but it works.

Rafi said...

or they end up being a psychotic killer waiting for the first human to interact with them so they can begin the slow process of killing everyone you know and love and eventually you but not before making your life a living hell.

Post a Comment