Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Wheel of Life Keeps Turning


I’m sorry I’ve been out for more than a week, but I’m finally back! It’s rough to adjust to this new community known as the Sierra dorm in the University of California, Irvine (UCI). It’s rough because I had to leave so much behind. I had to leave behind my bed, my family, my friends, a comfortable shower, a private bathroom, but I think it’s worth it. It’s worth it because in return I found some new friends, how to juggle shampoo, soap, and clothes in the shower, that distance makes the heart grow fonder, and that public bathrooms are not as scary as they once seemed to be.

College is way different than high school. I’ve only been there for two weeks, but it seems much, much longer. It’s different because in high school I lived week by strenuous week, but in college, the days and weeks collide and switch places. In college, I live everything day by day and in the moment, which is a very different change of pace. Classes are different everyday and there isn’t much of a pattern. If you think there is a pattern though and you get used to it, the pattern is bound to change in an instant.

It was difficult to wave goodbye to all of my friends and give them my last hugs, but I came to my dorm, Sierra, with an open mind and ready to make some new friends even if it was going to be awkward at first.

I introduced myself not as Vatche, but as Stitch, my nickname given to me by my friends, because it was a lot easier to remember. How can you forget someone named Stitch? So, by the end of my first day of moving-in, everyone practically knew me before I even knew them. I would introduce myself and put out my hand and they would say, “OH! You’re Stitch!” I didn’t even do anything and I became “infamous” as one of my dorm-mates said.

Adjusting to the food wasn’t an easy task either. I’ve gotten my fair share of the Common’s Cafeteria Curse and became very friendly with the public bathrooms in the Sierra dorm over the course of a few days. When my stomach finally adjusted, most of the worst parts of college were over.

My roommate is a funny guy named Jonathan and so far barely any problems have occurred between the two of us. We have our small talks about what are some of the best comedians, what’s good music, and when to get out of the room while the other roommate is doing something private. He’s cool and though I’m not that close to him yet, I hope that over the course of this year we will embrace each other’s differences.
            
Besides all of this, I have also several upperclassmen in my dorm that are there to help me understand the theme of the Sierra dorm, which is diversity. There is the Resident Advisor, Melyssa, who has inspired me to become a leader for the dorm and I’ve inspired her to get her own Idea Binder started. Elena, who I can come talk to about anything, even though she’s a quiet person. She’s there for me and I’m there for her. Nathan, who is one of the very few writers at UCI, has much in common with me and has already become a sort of big brother to me. Zac who has my similar taste in music, makes the funniest of sounds, and is always fooling around. Alex, the other jokester, is always smiling, the “Panda” in our dorm, and is the champ of Super Smash Bros. Dalia, who looks like she takes shit from nobody, is actually a kind-hearted soul, who loves to bring people together, and is secretly a klutz. Amy, who has the cutest voice, when she laughs she slaps her knees, and she’s always there to give me a hug when I need one. Lastly, Kaitlyn, who is not there as often as all the others, but makes an effort to ask me how my day has been and smile. This is the Sierra staff that are slowly molding into part of my life and becoming a part of my family. Each of them added themselves to my puzzle board of life.
            
This is my life in Sierra for right now, I’ll be sure to keep all of you, readers, updated every week. Slowly, the Sierra dorm is transforming into my new home and I’m proud to be a part of the Sierra family.
           
            

6 comments:

Terresa said...

Your post reminded me of my first days & weeks, years ago, in college, they were both unreal & now are cemented into the mortar of my life, the people, the food, the mountains near campus (unbelievable, especially in the first snow fall, and in the spring, so green).

Sounds like your settling in well to college life -- enjoy every bit of it, Stitch. :)

PS: Meet & hang out with all the writers you can (are they bloggers, too?), take notes & share all the good stuff, OK?

WINDOWLAD said...

...o, i can easily relate to this... since, i'm soon to graduate in college... yeah, my first days in college was crazy... totally apart from what i had in my high school days... in college, time is mine... yes, co'z most professors don't really bother or care if you would like to attend the class or not; or you would like to comply with all the assignments, projects, etc. or not... the only thing matters is that whether you could pass the subject or meet him again next semester...haha.. and thank God, i managed to get through it all... ye know, i've always wanted to live in a dorm but unfortunately i'm staying with my Dad here in the city... anyhow, GOODLUCK to you and enjoy everything... GOD bless!!!(^^)b..

>Kelvin

Paul L. Martin said...

I am glad things are falling into place, Stitch. I, too, have a fear of public bathrooms. Unlike you, I am afraid of change, so I admire your embracing of this new adventure called college. Know that there are so many people having good thoughts for you and wishing you success from afar. Take hold of this new life and love it, because life is a journey, and the journey will reward you for your courage.

Keep well, my friend and fellow writer. We should get together one of these weekends when you are home and not too busy.

Rafi said...

the wheel of life keeps turning....unless you're dead!

The Words Crafter said...

Wow, what a time you're having. I admire you for going out there and mixing it up with all those strangers. I don't know if I could. At least at my age. Shudder.

It sounds like it's not just all the people around you that are special. You are, too, for being able to see around everyone's differences and accept them for who they are. Not too many people are able to do that, at any age.

I look forward to reading about your new adventures and I'm glad you've found a fellow writer.

Take care!

Oh yeah! One of my all time favorite characters is a toon from a Disney movie-Stitch from Lilo and Stitch. He's completely adorable!

jtrieu1992 said...

Very well said. ^-^

Post a Comment