Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Mental Snack (39)



Share your thoughts...


"The aim of every artist is to arrest motion, which is life, by artificial means and hold it fixed so that a hundred years later, when a stranger looks at it, it moves again since it is life." ~ William Faulkner

What is your definition of an artist? Are they the ones who create out of nothingness? Are they the ones that capture life onto a page? Does art have to be on a page or can it be on something else, like a living being? Are there boundaries to art? Is making art a talent or a skill one can learn? 

3 comments:

Laura J. Wellner (author pseudonym Laura J. W. Ryan) said...

My definition: Artists are the ones who create out of nothingness, they are the ones that capture life onto a page...it doesn't have to be a page, it can be in any form. There are no boundaries. Talent is only half of it...the rest is a learning experience, gaining tools to add to the art making toolbox.

Carolyn V. said...

I like the create out of nothingness. I think just being able to create is being an artist. Great post Vatche. =)

The Words Crafter said...

I think it's all of the above. Even taking something that already exists and making something new of it. Boundaries-I'd have to say yes. My antagonist is an "artist" in the sense that he does the above. But, he's way off the chart and is pretty degenerate. In that way, I think art should have boundaries. I can't explain more without giving too much away.....

Post a Comment