Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Mental Snack (48)


"Next time, ask: What's the worst that will happen? Then push yourself a little further than you dare. Once you start to speak, people will yell at you. They will interrupt you, put you down and suggest it's personal. And the world won't end. And the speaking will get easier. And you will find you have fallen in love with your own vision, which you may never have realized you had. And you will lose some friends and lovers, and realize you don't miss them. And new ones will find you and cherish you. And you will still flirt and paint your nails, dress up and party, because, as I think Emma Goldman said, 'If I can't dance, I don't want to be a part of your revolution.' And at last you'll know with surpassing certainty that only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth. And that is not speaking." ~ Naomi Wolf

When you have an impulse to do something, do you always follow through with it? To you, what's worse to have spoken and dealt with the consequences or not speaking at all? Share a story or two of when you spoke and did something to voice your opinion even though it was looked down upon by others. 

3 comments:

Kamila said...

I think I want to speak rather not pointing my view at all..

I would rather regret doing a mistake than doing nothing at all... at least I tried.

Shadow said...

it's better to speak and deal with it, provided the reasons for speaking are the right ones...

RosieC said...

Following ones gut is important. Your instincts are what your body wants you to do before your brain can overthink and get in the way.

I've tried to speak up as a representative of the other grad students in my department a number of times. Unfortunately, few people ever back me up, so it usually just sounds like I'm complaining. It has benefited me in short-term situations, but has never brought about global changes. But I did what I could and followed my heart, so I can't regret my own actions.

Post a Comment