Saturday, January 15, 2011

Self-Operation: A Poem


A man’s heart was broken,
Shattered into pieces
Like a puzzle almost,
He had to put it back together again
With the help of family,
With the help of friends.

His family helped,
Tried to glue the pieces back together,
Tell him everything was all right,
But it was not,
He still felt broken,
The glue melted
Like the wax of a lit candle,
And all the pieces fell down again.

His friends saw the pieces on the floor,
And decided to try and stitch them back together,
His heart beat fast,
As his best of friends sewed the pieces back,
But when he thought of love again,
The pieces of thread opened,
And he fell to the floor
On his knees,
Asking for someone to help him.

He stared at the ground
Saw a puddle
Saw his reflection
And noticed that the only person who knew about his heart
Better than his family and friends
Was staring at him right now.

So he took off his shirt,
Opened his chest,
Saw the pieces that needed to be fixed,
Noticed the ones that needed to be replaced,
Took them out slowly,
Gently,
Saw the memories that each of the pieces held,
And discarded some,
The useless ones,
Kept the ones that helped him grow,
Stitched and glued,
Hammered away,
Cut and sewed,
And put a lock on his heart,
But held the key to himself.

“One day,” he whispered,
“This key will belong to someone else.”

Have you ever had your heart broken? What did it take to mend that broken heart? Was it your friends, your family, yourself, or someone else? In your opinion, what's the best remedy for a broken heart?

5 comments:

Shadow said...

the answers, the healing, is within us. all we need, is time, for the thoughts to clear, for 'distance' from the emotions, for other things to fill the gap...

Kaleidoscope Girl said...

Thanks for your comment on my last post. Hello. :)

Yes, I have had a broken heart and personally I think you can bury it in time but it will always be a part of you.

I liked this poem, so full of hope.

Bubbles said...

Yes and badly. It took time, in which there was lots of reflection, anger, depression, renewal, and revival. It took almost a year to get passed it, but I have never really stopped hurting. It's been a little over two years now and I'm getting better. It fades over time, but that ache has never truly left. I never got closure, just a knowledge that the choice he made was honestly the best thing that could have happened to me, because it helped me make my choice to not go back when he asked.

For me, it was someone else. Someone extremely unexpected. Someone wonderful.

Liked the poem.

Btw, noticed you gave shout outs to all your RL friends blogs 'cept mine. Shmuck :P

<3 Stitch :)

M. said...

time..which walks slow at those times..so slow...Its that feeling of loss that human nature is never prepared for..
But only time can lead us to the biggest gifts that wait for us ahead..

thanks for your kind comment..
M.

Girl in My Own World said...

Omgosh! This was such an awesome poem! I love it and I am so there right now! For me I have found that even I myself cannot heal myself, but only The Lord can do this for me so I try to find my solace in him. I think that you can certaintly find help, encouragement, and inspiration from others like your friends and family, but at the end of the day, I think that God is the ulitimate healer! Again, great post! :o)

Post a Comment