Saturday, March 5, 2011

Spoken Word and Slightly Reflecting on How I Branched Out

When I started writing, I limited myself to only fiction. Then, I began to branch out into other genres. Later, I wrote nonfiction, starting with this blog by giving you, my readers, some personal stories and anecdotes. And while blogging, I discovered a lot of people wrote poetry on their blogs, so I tried out some of my poetry on here. All my stages of writing had its good and bad moments. Eventually, I got the hang of it, but I'm still an amateur.

Lately, I've been involved with a club on campus known as Uncultivated Rabbits and they are known for their spoken word, which is like poetry but with a beat behind it. I've only been in the club for about a month now and I'm just a bunny, I guess, but I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it. I've realized that there are two parts to a spoken word piece: the writing and the performance. So, I'm preparing for my first ever spoken word piece on Monday, which took three days to memorize. Hopefully, I can put on the performance part of it well.

Wish me luck!

Here are some of my favorite spoken word pieces, done by professionals, that I've discovered this past week when trying to find out what I was going to write about for this coming Monday.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdSEG0dp8Jk




Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EgErIGq6qE&feature=related



Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1zpX4R33CA

2 comments:

Adrian Paul said...

I wanna put some of my poetry on my blog as well. Maybe i'll get some feedback! =] Yours are really good. So in depth.

Nicole MacDonald said...

Good luck :) It's a great idea to try different styles it can only improve your writing skills :) I look forward to your piece!

The Arrival, on Amazon now
www.damselinadirtydress.com

Post a Comment